Statement of Intent-Foundation Stage
The Early Years are vital for a child’s social, emotional, physical and academic development. The Foundation Stage creates the essential building blocks for future learning. At Herne CE Infant and Nursery school, we have an ethos where children flourish in a safe, nurturing, creative and inspiring environment. Our child centred approach offers children opportunities to explore and learn with the support and guidance of experienced Early Years practitioners. We embed the Characteristics of Effective Learning in daily routines and promote many skills through both teacher led and child initiated sessions. We challenge our children with problem solving activities, encourage risk taking and perseverance, and support them with negotiating their ideas with others. Life skills develop through a wide range of creative, topic led activities. We promote imagination, independence and wellbeing in all of our children across all areas of the curriculum.
All the children have settled into school life incredibly well! Our first topic was “I am Me. We are Herne”, which allowed us to get to know each other, find out about our families and talk about what makes us all special and all unique.
Some of our new learning stars include:
- Finding out our new classroom names. We are now the Doormice, Squirrels and Hedgehogs!
- Remembering where to put our name cards, water bottles, book bags and coats
- How to wash our hands and manage our own hygiene
- Becoming more independent
- How to listen carefully to help us to learn
- Exploring areas of the wider school such as the library, hall, music room, ICT suite, the HIVE and the wildlife area
- Learning the names of our new friends and adults
- Creating lots of lovely art and crafts to decorate our classrooms with
- Playing lots of small group games, joining in with teacher time activities and learning through play during COOL Time (Continuing Our Own Learning time)
- Singing songs and learning special prayers
- Bringing home our first reading books
- Eating lunch in our classrooms!