Well done to all the little Hedgehogs, Squirrels and Dormice who have transitioned into our Herne Infant family very well indeed. We have started our school journey by getting to know each child on a 1:1 basis in their new classroom, shortly followed by half day sessions in two small groups. We then became a whole class family by all coming into together for the mornings. We even tried our school dinners for the first time before we went home. Now we are full time and our days have been full of activities to help us learn our new routines and creating friendships with our peers. This week is our first full week of being full time. Although they are already tired, they are doing so well!
Some of the things we have done so far include:
- Getting to know all of the adults who are here to help us learn and keep us safe in our class and the Year R family
- Joining in with daily circle time where we began to learn our new friend’s names and playing lots of games and singing songs to support speaking and listening, and turn taking
- Identifying the sound of our class instrumental to know when it is time to stop, look, listen and when it is time to line up during outdoor active play times. We also have a tidy up song, which helps us to boogie whilst clearing away all of our things.
- Learning where all our things go and where to put things in our inside and outside environment
- Going for a little tour around our school, seeing siblings, new friends and adults that form part of our wider school family
- Making many arts and crafts to brighten up our rooms that help us with our fine motor skills such as cutting, drawing, painting and printing
- Having class Worship times, joining in with whole school Worship and coming together as a year group for Celebration Worship each Friday. We have been good at finding out what Worship is and the many symbols of God and Jesus we have
- Finding out about our five school values of Love, Trust, Respect, Honesty and Forgiveness
- Joining in with COOL Times (Continuing with Our Own Learning through play), developing and demonstrating many skills whilst we play. We are beginning to find out about our school’s Characteristics Characters
- Discussing our feelings and relating these to the Colour Monsters
- Counting forwards and back whilst singing songs and even lining up
- Understanding the breadth of number knowledge of numbers to three such as subitising, making the number with smaller numbers plus the different ways the number can be represented. We are also having a go at writing the numerals
- Starting phonic sessions to help us learn the sounds of some graphemes of the alphabet. So far we have explored ‘s’, ‘a’, ‘t’ and ‘p’
- Warmed up our bodies and busy fingers to explore the ‘dot’ handwriting pattern as part of our range of Herne Handwriting Patterns we will learn across the next two terms
We would like to thank the parents for all the information you gave us regarding your wonderful children on our parent partnership days, and for their valuable support throughout this transition time. We look forward to welcoming you at our Parent Information Workshop on Monday 25th September.